EBS & ASM best practices and suggestions

  • From: Yury Velikanov <j.velikanovs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ora-apps-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 23:50:21 +1100

Hello Pravin,

If you are planning to run EBS in RAC configuration what possible options do
you have for Storing DB files ?
RAW devices (block devices) - Best DB IO performance - Manageability is
rubbish
Cluster FS - rubbish performance / technical complexity / costs - Good
Manageability
ASM - Best DB IO performance - Good Manageability - Mirroring/Striping out
of the box - Mainstream today & Oracle Future (11GR2 introduced ACFS - ASM
Cluster File System)

From my point of view you  do not have other options :)
End of the day ASM isn't a rocket since. It is a very simple product
covering very simple operations (files extent map synchronization)

If you have any questions on doubts please do not hesitate to share those
with us.

PS ASM topic is kind of HOT for me now as I just delivered the following
paper during annual Australian User Group
Automatic Storage Management - 11G R2 features for mission critical systems

All the best with your projects,
Yury