RE: Backup and Restore

  • From: "Rolfe, Kent \(GTI AIS OPS/SE\)" <kent_rolfe@xxxxxx>
  • To: <ora-apps-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 11:28:51 +0100

dont use import/export. Not for what you want.

If you look up the 'utility' RMAN. That would be much better for you for
various reasons. Its a standard Oracle product.

RMAN is very easy to use and has loads of examples all over metalink and
the net. After some basic setup, it will only take a 10 line script to
backup your database and similar to restore if it all goes wrong.

Also, you will need to back up the code tree - i.e. RMAN will only do
the database. For the code tree, you will have to use an OS utility -
like tar/zip if you are on linux

Kent.