Re: ASM vs OCSF on 12i Oracle Apps Rac

  • From: "Jurijs Velikanovs" <j.velikanovs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ora-apps-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 11:48:54 +0300

Hi Kathy,

Personally have experience running 11.5.10.2/9.2.0/OCSF v1.
-- Dell/EMC {sounds faliliar, isn't it? }
-- With V1 defragmentation of the OCSF were a significant problem. In
V2 it is fixed i beleave.
Our team maitens 11i 10GR2 RAC on ASM for one of our custommers.
-- No sifnificant problems related to ASM at all so far.

I think Alex on oracle-l forum gave you an excelent imput.
//www.freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/09-2007/msg00331.html

From my point of view comparing both solution and Oracle stratigic
directions ASM is the right solution to chouse.
OCSF solution is out of recomended Grid computing architecture.
This means that Oracle will put more efforts on geting problems fixed
in ASM then in OCFS area.

Just my 0.02$,
J.

On 9/13/07, kathy duret <katpopins21@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We are going through this debate right now.
>
> Our 12i Oracle Apps will be Oracle 10.2  RAC on Linux Oracle Unbreakable,
> Dell hardware.  EMC San Storage
>
> Dell is pushing OCSF and Oracle is pushing ASM
>
> I have heard there are issues with ASM on Oracle Apps, others say that is
> old news.
>
> Anyone out there using OCSF or ASM on Oracle Apps in a Rac environment care
> to toss in there hat and let me know the dirt?
>
> I here ASM is a bit more complex especially on a SAN environment and you get
> better performance.  But I heard there are bugs with Oracle Apps / Rac and
> you are less able
> to troubleshoot issues without Oracle Support.
>
> Anyone with any real experiences, both pro and con?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Kathy

Yury
+371 29268222 (+2 GMT)