RE: 2node/3node RAC

  • From: "Steve Kirby" <kirby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'k srinivas'" <k.sridba@xxxxxxxxx>, <ora-apps-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 23:55:18 -0700

For performance I would pick a single DB server for the same processors/RAM.
RAC has some performance overhead.  Not much, but some.  Under 10g I had
some difficult to diagnose performance problems, but those seem to have gone
away under 11.

For scalability RAC is the way to go ... throw servers at the problem and
you can scale until the cows come home

For reliability I lean toward a single server since, in my experience, RAC
is harder to maintain and , at least under 10g, I found a couple of bugs I
never saw under single server.

For manageability single server beats RAC hands down.  Fewer DBA's are
exposed to RAC and there are just more steps to everything.  It is also
pretty easy to break a RAC by updating configuration files incorrectly.

2 node v 3 node.  I don't really see the difference.  You have all the
headaches of RAC once you get second server involved.   From a licensing and
manageability I would stick with fewer nodes ... with 1 being ideal.  The
only question I would have is how can you get the greatest amount of RAM and
CPU to Oracle... If you can do it in 2 servers ... use 2.  If you need 3
servers ...go 3.

Steve

  _____