[optimal] Re: optimal Digest V5 #112

  • From: Alf <alfwhyte@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 09:20:20 +0100

Butterfly? Really? Is that because of price?

We always use a cannula. If something goes wrong we need a patent IV entry. A butterfly just doesn't cut it. We haven't had an extravasion in years using cannulas with a saline check before the push. No matter how bad the doc/patient is veinwise. (is that a word?). BTW, half our docs go immediately for the back of the hand. I don't like it, the patients don't like it. I'd prefer antecubital too. Sometimes I have to hold the patient's hand up, above heart level, to get the "rush" of fluorescein entry.

Alf Whyte, Cork, Ireland.

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 09:36:17 -0400
Subject: [optimal] Re: Fluorescein
From: Stuart Alfred<stuart.alfred@xxxxxxxxx>

We have gone to using half a dose per vial here on the majority of studies.
  Specifically, I use the Spectralis, 25% AK-FLUOR, 23 or 25 gauge
butterfly, 30 degree objective, attempt to use antecubital vein at all
times.  My observation over the last  . . . two weeks of using half dose is
1) full dose needed with 55 degree objective or patients over 200lbs, 2)
  1cc/mL dye dissipates much more rapidly than 2 cc, so late phase images at
3:30-4 minutes.  If patient is possible CSR I use full dose for lates at 8
or 10 mins.
My opinion: Annoying having to change an established, proven combination
makes for less than optimal diagnostics!  The nuances of our angiography on
such a wide range of patients and pathologies screams 'little room for
variability'.  Changing this recipe makes me anxious.
Respectfully,
Stuart

---
is active.