[optimal] Re: Spectralis viewing license question

  • From: "Stratton, Rick" <RSStratton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:18:13 -0400

An undocumented tip I picked up from the guys at Heidelberg tech support. ;)

First section of the HEYEX.INI file [SETTINGS] on the review station [not
recommended for capture stations for obvious reasons!]

[Settings]
Workstation=Heidelberg Eye Explorer REVIEW
;Identifies system as a REVIEW  station instead of CAPTURE - not required but
it does help identify a review station is you are not using specific SPECTRALIS
application account logins

WorkstationID=0
;"ZERO" defines it as a FLOATING USER LICENSE as handled by the HELIC LICENSE
MANAGER

Timeout=1800
;application inactivity timeout in SECONDS, 1800 seconds= 30 minutes

In theory, if you have only fixed licenses [as in this scenario let's say 5]
you could still set up multiple review stations to use only one [or more]
available license. It would work something like this:

If you have 4 CAPTURE stations - under the WorkstationID parameter, name them
1/2/3/4 respectively. This will reserve a license for them at all times.
For the review stations, under the WorkstationID parameter simply number them
all as "5". You could install as many instances of the fat client [review] as
you want, however as they all are identified as "5" only one client will have
access at a time. In order to free up the license you would need to exit the
application entirely. A word of warning though - tell REVIEW station users to
get into the habit of exiting the application using the FILE/EXIT command. In
the past we had some issues with users improperly exiting the program which
then leaves that license 'stuck'. An example of how this can happen - we have
physicians using APPLE/MAC desktops, running Parallels or other Windows
emulator software. This allows us to install a HEYEX Review fat client for them
in their office. They open up HEYEX but close the EMULATOR before exiting
HEYEX. Because HEYEX did not exit properly, it did not have a chance to remove
the license 'identifier' in the DATA directory so the License Manager still
thinks it's in use. Easy enough to fix but if you're tight on licenses it can
present a problem. Other scenarios can create the problem too but are rarer.

Richard Stratton
Systems Analyst, Sr.
UMCET / Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
900 NW 17th Street
Miami, FL 33136
305.482.4002
305.326.6084 (Fax)
786.376.3228 (Cell)

Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 11:01:51 -0700
From: <mailto:cpmceyelab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cpmceyelab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:cpmceyelab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <mailto:optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have 5 Spectralis licenses

I have used 3 for myself and one major client

Can my major client now access the system, using their license, on MULTIPLE
workstations?  And if so, what is the limit to the number of workstations they
can view from?

Many thanks

D.