Re: reading with a crt lens

  • From: Gailselfridge@xxxxxxx
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:41:30 EDT

Catherine, you can't read a TV screen with any kind of optacon camera because
the picture on a TV screen is made up of lines and the optacon picks up those
lines along with whatever is on the screen. A sighted person can really see
these lines if he's paying attention, but he lets them blend into the picture.
I don't know about your MP3 player. The calculator camera might work there.

Lori, when I was growing up I had a little vision and my piano teacher wanted
me to be able to teach music to sighted people just in case I ever wanted to
do that, so he explained it to me. I had special magnifying glasses so I could
bury my nose in a book and see the music well enough to understand it,
although I couldn't read it while I was playing piano. But that's how I learned
what
it looked like. That's what an optacon is really good at. If you know what
something looks like, it can often reproduce it well enough that you can
picture
it in your mind. Of course it doesn't work for pictures because they're too
complex.

Gail