[optacon-l] Re: Top-Braille

  • From: "Steve" <k8sp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 12:05:46 -0400

No, it's not marketed very much here in the States.  Howe Press I think
sells it for $1950.  I haven't seen it personally, but I have looked at a
video on YouTube and saw documentation on the European Patent Office site.

I don't see the need for testing something like that which is a hand-scanner
that converts what it sees into Braille except if there was a large interest
in the deaf-blind community.  There are other portable solutions like the
KNFB Reader which are smaller, will read much faster, etc.

Since this device relies on optical-to-character recognition, it doesn't do
what the optacon does.  As you scan, there is going to be a slight delay
between what it sees and the conversion of same into Braille.  You are
limited in your reading speed to how fast and accurately you can scan a line
of print and move from line to line.  Since there are solutions which are
portable and will similarly recognize and read the printed material at at
least three times the speed that one can scan, I see no use for this device
except for those who have hearing impairments.

Steve
Lansing, MI