Survey Update May 12, 2006

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 13:05:10 -0400 (EDT)

SINGLE-PURPOSE OPTACON USERS
        Those who use the Optacon every day for a variety of different
purposes might be interested to know that we have three respondents so far
who use the Optacon for one purpose only. One of these draws diagrams on
the computer. Then he/she prints them out and proof-reads the drawing and
the text with the Optacon.
        Another respondent uses the Optacon to read mail when a spouse is
not available.
        The third respondent states that he/she used to use the Optacon
for everything but now only keeps it as a fall-back.
A WONDERFUL POST FROM A NEW USER
        Mary Emerson and I received a post yesterday from a gentlemen who
is a retired physicist and is teaching himself the Optacon. Mary Emerson
sent him the electronic documentation for the Optacon r1 series and he
actually read it. Not only did he read it, but he is following the
instructions and is quite pleased with his own progress. If any of the
authorized instructors on the list might like to volunteer to help the
gentlemen with a little advice as to how to proceed, I'm sure he would be
most grateful. Please write to me or to Mary Emerson about this.
97 AND COUNTING
        That's how many current Optacon user surveys we have. By the
week-end we will have over 100. Not bad for a device that many in the
rehab community thought had died.
KEEP UP THE SEARCH
        The more Optacons that are made available, the more resources the
Optacon users as a group will have to work with. Keep those unused and
non-working Optacons coming. The Optacon you save may be your own.
THAT'S IT FOR NOW.
Catherine