[optacon-l] Re: Rubber Reading Pads and Suitable Replacement Mat

  • From: "Robert Englebretson" <renglebr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 07:45:42 -0500

Dear Armand and List,

I am one of those people who finds a reading mat very helpful, and I spent a
while last year trying to find a suitable replacement.  What I eventually
bought, which works even better than the original (in my opinion) was a
solid black silicon baking mat.  The one I bought is available on Amazon at:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007Y9WDK
This is much larger than the standard mat that used to come with the
optacon, and nothing slides around on it and it doesn't slide around on the
desk.  And, when you're done reading, you can bake cookies on it (just
kidding).

Someone on the list had suggested trying a mouse-pad; the problem with using
a mouse-pad is that the side of the pad designed for the mouse is
non-stick--and so the paper just slides around on it.  This was a problem I
found with all of the blotters and rubber pads I tried; the one side would
stay in place on the desk just fine, but the paper would slide around too
much to be useful.  Silicon baking mats turned out to be the best choice.
If you don't want to order online, a good kitchen supply store will carry
these.

Hope this helps.

--Robert E