[optacon-l] Progress toward prototype

  • From: Bill English <english.family@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Optacon-I <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 21:07:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

I joined the Optacon-1 group here months ago and have enjoyed you all very
much.  If you remember, I am inventor of the Sense Organs Synthesizer.  I was
looking for a source to get piezoelectric reeds for my prototype.  Several of
you helped me find an excellent source of these, and a wealth of research data
was given me as well.

I still have no prototype yet, but NASA's SATOP program is now reviewing my
'Request for Technical Assistance', that asks them to help with the linear
tactile array.  If they recommend EAP, ECS, Optacon reeds or another
technology,
will be determined by cost-efficiency and ease of replication of the arrays.
That is, if they approve our request for assistance.

Dr. Peter Meijer of seeingwithsound.com has  graciously allowed us to interface
'The vOICe' system, combined with whatever tactile array we come up with.  We
will convert his audio 'soundscapes' to tactile signals using a filter bank,
actually quite simple to do.  We just need at least 64 linear tactile actuators
in a wearable textile, to be ready to test.

Result will be 'proof of concept' for my invention, and if SATOP helps with
array as hoped, this will provide an excellent add-on array for Dr. Meijer's
users of The vOICe.

A number of you wished me to keep you informed of progress toward prototype,
and
Dr. Meijer has made prototyping much simpler to do.  We should not be far away,
now!

My invention is found at http:www.freepatentsonline.com/y20020173823.html
Scroll down to find "Download PDF 20010173823", select for version with
diagrams.

Special mention  to Dr. Meijer, Dr. Frank Boyd, Noel Runyan, Bill Gerry, and
all
who have been so very much help to me, in all things.

Be Blessed,

Bill English