Possible Sources For Optacon Corpses

  • From: "Eric Clegg" <eclegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 19:24:09 -0700

Hi Listers,
I sent this message to Catherine privately then decided to post to the list as
well.
You might also want to contact someone at CTEVH here in California to see if
they know of any school districts in this state that still may have Optacons
languishing.
There web site is:
www.ctevh.org
The acronym stands for California Transcribers and Educators of the Visually
Handicapped.
I think at one time TSI was very active with school districts out here.
Another possible source of corpses might be the university special education
programs that train future teachers of the blind. I think one program in
Pittsburgh,
PA had a very active Optacon training program for teachers in the 1970s.
Someone named Mary Moore was involved with it at the time.

Other sources might also be the Social Security Administration and the IRS. I
believe both agencies purchased Optacons in the 1970s for their employees.

Hope this helps.
Cordially,
Eric Clegg