Optacon Nostalgia

  • From: "Cynthia Handel" <cindy425@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Optacon" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:48:00 -0500

Hi everyone,

Around Christmas time, I learned that several old Optacons were found at the
University of Pittsburgh.  Apparently, they taught Optacon to people, for a
short time.  But, when, after a short time, they were no longer needed, they
just sat around.  Someone discovered them and rescued them.

I don't know how many there were, but I got one.  Talk about nostalgia!  I
believe this must be an R1B.  It still has the old camera retaining bolt,
metal camera, and very thin retina cable.  It was thoroughly serviced by a
former serviceman who worked for TSI, 25 years ago, or more.  So, I'm
thrilled to have it and just thought you'd like to now.

Cindy

"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then...find the way."
Abraham Lincoln