[optacon-l] Optacon Lesson Book

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 02:02:27 -0400 (EDT)

Sadly, the Optacon lesson book is not as wonderful as it was when it was
first designed. The book can still be used but not for everything. In the
70s when the book was created, print was mostly uniform and
straightforward. This is because most documents were produced by
professionals. Layouts were generally uniform. Even complex layouts tended
to be consistent. Since the arrival of personal computers and individual
desktop publishing, all that has changed. There are infinitely more
colors, type styles, type faces, fonts, etc. being used--unfortunately
often without rhyme or reason.

The earliest lessons in the book which aid in practicing tracking with the
camera and in locating items on a page are still very relevant. Once you
get past the first couple of little stories, I'm not sure that the
remaining material is all that useful.

I received only a few private lessons with the Optacon and once I passed
the second story in the book I never used it again although I have looked
at it as a matter of interest.

If there are users on the list who would have the time and inclination to
update training materials, we could establish a committee and work on it.

Consider for instance that when the book was printed, the at sign, greater
than and less than signs etc. were not a part of everyday life. I don't
think they are even in the book. If they are, forgive me but I don't think
so.

Anyway, those who might find this type of thing fun, can contact me
off-list if they like and we can set up a work-group.
Catherine