Re: Off Topic but very important--TEMPORARY SHUT-DOWN OF WEB-BRAILLE

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <director@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 09:52:59 -0500

NLS is really not giving any explanation of the shutdown. I have written
to Kurt Cylke and received a reply. He gave no explanation either, but
said an explanation would be forthcoming when the matter could be
discussed with the public. I do not like this secrecy, and I think the
shutdown, even ic necessary, was handled very clumsily.

If Webbraille is not reactiuated soon we should write to our
congressperson. After all, it's our service and our government.

john

On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 09:08:48AM -0400, Catherine Thomas wrote:
> The temporary shut-down of Web-Braille, a service available to Library for
> the Blind patrons in the United States, has many users concerned about the
> explanation offered. I  would urge all users of Web-Braille, especially
> the deaf-blind users, to do the following two things immediately. Visit
> the Web-Braille site and read the notice you will find there. Contact
> Judith Dixon as it says to do, expressing your concerns and briefly
> stating how you use Web-Braille and its value.
> Also, please email the libray director, Frank Kurt Cylke, asking to have
> Web-Braille re-instated immediately.
> email: fcyl@xxxxxxx
> THANK YOU TO ALL WHO RESPOND.
> Catherine

> Tell your friends about the list.  They can subscribe by sending a message to:

John J. boyer; Executive Director, Chief Software Developer
Computers to Help People, Inc.
www.chpi.org
6033 Monona Drive, suite 205; Madison, WI 53716