Five Weeks and Counting: Update

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 14:50:26 -0400 (EDT)

Here is this week's update on the Optacon Preservation Project. Enjoy!
Subject: Survey Update: Five Weeks In Review

FACTS ABOUT THE SURVEYS
      To date we have received 111 surveys from current Optacon
users and 20 surveys from Potential Optacon users. This past week
has been the slowest for surveys so far.Please continue to post
to e-lists and individuals. You don't have to post the whole
survey. Just make an announcement that we are looking for
information from current Optacon users and also from people who
don't use the Optacon and would not mind telling us how they cope
with the day-to-day problems around reading print. We will be
collecting data probably through the summer. Remember that the
data from the surveys will help to determine the Optacon's
future. If anyone needs assistance in composing an announcement
to post, please ask.
DATA FROM THE USER LIST
      Members of our list keep pointing out the things that make
the Optacon unique. A recent discussion of the up-side-down
camera for example, reminded everyone that the Optacon can be
used to read print inside library card catalogs, file drawers,
and behind or inside appliances. these options are not available
using any other device currently on the market. Isolating the
Optacon's uniqueness is critical.
      Listers have been enjoying themselves sharing memories of
Optacon training and what things they read first with the
Optacon. Some of the firsts included popular magazines, ads and
coupons, and even the paper on a straw.
OPTACON DOCUMENTATION
      This week we added two more documents to the Optacon
documentation collection. These were of a technical nature useful
for our engineers and software experts.  We have electronic
versions of manuals for the Optacon r1, the Optacon II and the
CRT lens. If anyone needs these documents please ask for them.
OPTACON REPAIRS
      We are still receiving information from Optacon users who
did not realize that the Optacons can be repaired. If anyone
originally posted to a list or to individuals without including
this fact, it is worth re-posting.
NON-WORKING AND UNUSED OPTACONS
      Several Optacon users have successfully located unused
Optacons by contacting former training agencies, schools for the
blind, former employers who used to provide Optacons, and other
educational and rehab facilities. Please contact as many of these
facilities as you can think of. Most of them are happy to part
with unused equipment that is just taking up space.
      If you find someone who wishes to sell an Optacon, post the
information to the list. Most of the repairers who have customers
waiting will see it there.
LAST WEEK'S REPORT
      Last week's survey update contained general information
about our effort to preserve the Optacon. I began sending it to
new respondents who were interested to know what we had done and
what we are doing. If anybody needs a copy of last week's message
to look at or to share, just write and ask.
AUTHORIZED REPAIRERS
      The list of authorized repairers is still not complete. We
are hoping to hear from a repairer in Australia. So far we know
of repairers in Canada, England and the United States.
SUMMARY OF POSITIVE OUTCOMES
      Because of our efforts during the past five weeks, the
Optacon is not as likely to disappear any time soon. We can be
proud of that. Many Optacon users have been reunited with their
Optacons or will be in the near future. In that respect, our
effort has changed lives. Our user list has additional members
and its number keeps growing. As we read of each other's
experiences, everyone is learning new uses for the Optacon and
tips to perform familiar tasks better.
OUR FOCUS IS STILL OUTREACH
      Because this project is a user initiative, there are no
"someones", as in "sombody ought to post to that magazine" or
"somebody ought to make up a brochure". Our user list contains
experts in many areas and we need them all. Except for those who
are getting their Optacons repaired, our work so far has not cost
any money. This fact alone is amazing. Eventually we will need to
raise funds. Anyone who has time might consider doing research to
find possible sources.
      Not all persons interested in preserving the Optacon are on
our list. We need to seriously consider the best way of keeping
in touch with people who have contacted us to update them on our
progress without boring them to tears.
      If anyone needs copies of either of our surveys to post,
please ask. If anyone needs help in wording a particular type of
list announcement or a request to an agency or school, please
ask.
IN SUMMARY
KEEP POSTING.
KEEP PLANNING.
KEEP CONTACTING.
IF WE ALL WORK TOGETHER, WE CAN PROVIDE A FUTURE FOR THE OPTACON.