Re: Editing subject lines, and more

  • From: "don bishop" <w6smb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 12:09:43 -0700

David's message is a good one.

I would strongly suggest that people learn the key shortcuts for their email
program.  This information and other useful things can usually be found under
the
help menu of the particular program.

Another source for listings of hot keys  for many programs is located at:

http://www.accesstechnologyinstitute.com
locate the link for resources, hit enter on that, and then look for the link
called reference cards for popular applications.

Even if you find a card for your email program but a different version than
what you have, the keyboard hotkeys are very likely to work.

Don

On Mon, 29 May 2006 07:31:54 -0400, David Arocho wrote:

I thought I would post this to the list, as there may be other list members
who may need the information, though they may not have thought to ask for
it.

I work with JAWS and Outlook 2002, but the general principles apply for
Outlook Express as well.  Many other programs use the same techniques.

Most programs use the tab key to go from one field to another.  The
shift-tab will cycle through the fields in the opposite direction.  So, as
Don  said, in Outlook using the shift-tab from the main editing window will
bring you to the subject field.  Other commonly used commands are control-r
or alt-r for reply, control-s or alt-s for send, control-n for new message.

If you use Jaws, you can press insert-f1 to get context sensitive help on
the area of the program you are using.  For example, if you are replying to
a message and want to see what commands are available for that portion of
the program, pressing insert-f1 will bring up a screen with information on
how to edit or read the fields.  So, you will learn that pressing alt-5 once
gives you the current subject field contents; pressing alt-5 twice quickly
will put you in that field.  Now you can press shift-end to highlight that
contents, and the delete key to erase that contents so you can type your own
new subject line.  Or you can edit that line using the left and right arrow
keys to move by character, control-right arrow or control-left arrow to move
by word.  If you use the shift key in addition to these key combinations you
will be highlighting the information; then you can copy, cut and paste the
highlighted information as needed.  Remember that these keys are pressed
simultaneously not sequentially.

Hope that helps, especially you JAWS users.

David