Back at you

  • From: Richard Oehm <oehmelec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 12:11:23 -0700

Hello Catherine,
Here is the message you sent to me from Inteligent Access Services as
per your telephone message request.  I'll let you post this to the list.
After all, you're Optacon Central.  I'll wait until I compile all of the
information from the repair services providers before I post this or any
other repair info to the list.  Additionally, When I have a bit of time
to spend on it, I intend to contact all of these folks and get a feel
for their enthusiasm before I create a definitive posting.  Thanks so
very much for all of your hard work.  There certainly seems to be a
great deal of activity on the list today.  I look forward to reading it
when I have the time.  Take care, and Thanks again, for all of your hard
work and constant dedication to the Optacon.

                     Richard Oehm
The intelligent Access message follows:

Hello Catherine
I'm glad to see that some effort is being made to coordinate resources
for
Optacon users.
We have been servicing Optacons for well over twenty years now and
consider it one if the dying arts like CP/M or Apple DOS. We service
equipment from anywhere in the world and continue to assist Optacon
users
when ever possible. As I have mentioned to others we do not have a
reliable
or reasonable replacement for the iris cable and this of course has
presented
some problems with repairs to series one units. We continue to rebuild
series 2
and replace series 1 batteries. We also modify some Optacons to
battery-less
operation with new power supplies since many users no longer use them as
portable
devices.
The only standard charge we have for the Optacon is $85.00 Canadian for
estimates which covers our time and return shipping or can be applied
to the cost of the repair. Since there is never really a situation where
"only the battery"
needs to be replaced we have not established set prices as we have done
on
other product lines.
We have had considerable success overhauling  braille and Optacon
displays
and have a good inventory of replacement or modified parts for this
equipment.
I would suggest that any one interested in our service check our  web
page
at
www.inteliigentaccessmicroware.com for more information.
If someone has a special request they can contact us at
service@xxxxxxxxxx
Fred Stam
Intelligent Access Microware
service@xxxxxxxxx