[optacon-l] Active Optacons, speed, etc.

  • From: "Linda Gehres" <ljgehres@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 19:58:55 -0800

Hi All,

I have an R1D in terrific shape.  A friend of mine in Canada has an Optacon
I formerly used in good shape.  I know of a friend locally named Gina who
has two Optacons.  One is an Optacon R1C or R1D which doesn't work but could
probably be repaired once she gets money together for such repairs.  Her
Optacon II works when plugged in, and she does use it occasionally.

Most of what I do with the Optacon doesn't really require speed, and
truthfully, when I did use an Optacon where I worked, the tasks I did
weren't involved with reading straight text but finding certain bits of
information in particular computer fields.  I think one of the biggest
thrills I've ever had using an Optacon was receiving a card from my brother.
He knew I wrote print in all caps and figured he'd write me a note in all
caps.  Had I tried to read it on a scanner, of course, it wouldn't have
worked, but I was able to read it magnificently on my Optacon.

Linda G.