[opendtv] =?utf-8?Q?Re:_[opendtv]_TV_Technology:_Broadcasters_Can’? =?utf-8?Q?t_Fake_Their_Way_to_Millennial_Success?Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 06:50:33 -0400

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <brewmastercraig@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

An interesting piece. Thanks for posting it Bert.

The blog makes the case that the broadcast industry has a human resources
problem. I certainly agree. Other than starry eyed journalism students trying
to get their first job, the broadcast industry has had little to offer to the
Millennial generation.

This brings back memories of the years I spent trying to "educate" broadcasters
about the technology transitions that they would experience as the medium
became "digital."

At all those NAB shows and other broadcast related conferences during the '90s,
the prevailing view was that the broadcast industry was dying. The goal was to
"flatten the curve;" to keep things going long enough for the execs and chief
engineers calling the shots to retire. At every turn we would hear the same
refrain: the computer industry and its energetic young visionaries don't
understand how broadcasting works.

This blog has a familiar ring:

To make matters worse, IT teams generally do not understand television
production culture, or what it means to deliver every frame of video to every
viewer every second of every day.

Clearly your view of the future is not in sync with the traditional broadcast
business model. Mine was not either.

The industry succeeded in flattening the curve. Most of my peers have retired.
The industry has had no direction other than "keep doing what we have always
done."

The ATSC standard essentially digitized the legacy broadcast model, right down
to the use of 59.94 interlaced fields per second. Some useful stuff was
included, or added to the standard, but nobody used it.

So here we are two decades later and the ATSC is finally starting to address
what "being digital" really means. The ATSC 3.0 requirements make it sound like
the engineers are finally talking to the IT department.

Yet the industry is not sure they need another new standard, or if they even
need a more capable infrastructure.

I still remember an Open DTV forum we held in Las Vegas in 2000. Sinclair set
up an experimental DVB broadcast and Mike Grotecelli was walking around the
room holding a five pound "tablet" with an external antenna receiving the
broadcast. The huge battery could only run this prototype for about an hour.

Today I can watch TV almost anywhere on my phone and tablet, and access both
live streams and vast libraries of movies and TV shows. I have my own WiFi
transmitter in a four inch square base station with a terabyte of storage that
backs up our Macs - it could easily hold hundreds of hours of video.

About the only thing that might be appealing about broadcasting to Millennials
is that the folks still working in the industry have much in common with "the
walking dead."

On Oct 8, 2015, at 8:09 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/opinions/0004/broadcasters-cant-fake-their-way-to-millennial-success/277121

Broadcasters Can’t Fake Their Way to Millennial Success