[opendtv] Re: opendtv] Re: Global standard

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 04:47:08 -0400

Mike Tsinberg wrote:

So they can sell their proprietary peripherals, not allowing users to
buy other than Apple hardware.

That is why a global and free Internet video standard may help.

How, if companies like Apple are happy to not use the standard, de-facto or otherwise?

The point I'm trying to make is that Internet standards do exist, and they're even used extensively. But companies find it in their best interest, at times, for reasons that have nothing to do with just progress, to gleefully violate them. So we are going around in circles.

That's why I got so irritated with Apple, when they came up with their ridiculous excuse for not supporting Flash RTMP.

Anyway, as you can see, if TV broadcast stays away from this unnecessary IP overhead, when actually dealing with broadcast distribution, it ain't exactly a bad thing. It removes overhead and a whole layer of corporate politics.