[opendtv] Re: Wireless broadband and cellular

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 18:18:01 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Not sure why you think cellular is the natural
> choice for wireless broadband, other than the
> fact the telcos keep buying up spectrum.

I think you are automatically linking "cellular techniques" with "telcos,"
which is logically incorrect. The reason why wireless broadband will likely be
a cellular system is that cellular provides the high density wireless links
with credibly high bit rates. The small cells make this feasible.

> but there are many possibilities for wireless
> broadband to fixed locations that are not
> served by wired broadband.

And those fixed locations would also be served by cellular techniques, although
in rural areas, the cells can be larger than in urban environments.

> Both Wi-Fi hot spots and femtocells are moving
> traffic ONTO wired networks to free up bandwidth
> on the cellular networks.

A matter of perspective. Femtocells are an intrinsic part of the cellular
network. They take traffic off the outdoor macrocell and move it to a smaller
(usually for indoor use) femtocell. But ultimately, all of these techniques
move traffic onto a wired network, whether they be large or tiny cells, or the
functionally equivalent WiFi local nets. So technically, all of these wireless
techniques do exactly the same thing.