[opendtv] Re: Why did we undertake this transition in the first place?

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:00:33 -0500

>Why did we undertake this transition in the first place?  To free up
>spectrum for resale to wireless service providers.  Period.

I'd say that was the reason in the second place.

When the FCC began its work in 1987, the purpose was the delivery of
"advanced television," with no indication of freeing up spectrum.  In
fact, at the time it was thought that "advanced television" could
require MORE spectrum, not less.  It was only after GI's introduction of
all-digital transmission (Zenith had previously proposed an
analog/digital hybrid) that the docket changed from "advanced
television" to "digital television."  The latter, of course, allowed the
possibility of freed-up spectrum.

TTFN,
Mark