[opendtv] Viewing video's future

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient:;
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 23:20:15 -0400

TECH LAB
Viewing video's future

By Hiawatha Bray
June 5, 2008

There's still a Blockbuster video rental store in my neighborhood.
But for how long?

These days, you can rent DVDs from a Redbox vending machine in
supermarkets for $1 a day, order them from your cable television
company's pay-per-view service, and sign up for movies by mail from
Blockbuster itself, or its archrival Netflix Inc.

And then there's the Internet. Netflix and Apple Inc. offer gadgets
that will bring movie downloads into the living room. I've been
testing both devices - Apple TV and the Netflix Player by Roku Inc.
While neither is perfect, they leave little doubt that Blockbuster's
woes are sure to get worse.

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2008/06/05/viewing_videos_future/