[opendtv] Re: US spectrum auction 'may miss targets'

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:40:27 -0500

At 11:17 AM -0500 1/15/08, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
I thought the business about using some of the spectrum for "public
safety" was mostly hype, to get this transition going already. I guess
this confirms my suspicion.

It has never been hype, although you are correct that many legacy problems are related to equipment and infrastructure limitations.

As for revenues from the auction for Block D, this was NEVER supposed to generate any revenue, as this spectrum was to be designated for public safety use.

This changed when Frontline suggested that the spectrum could be managed by a commercial enterprise, which would make money by selling excess capacity for commercial uses. This approach also removed the burden of governments building out the network, potentially using non-interoperable technologies.

It remains to be seen whether others will bid for this spectrum. If not it will be assigned to its original intended use.