[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's MondayMemo)2004April20

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:30:00 -0400

Bert,

Since I am the one that " dredge[s] up 1999 comparison tests every time
someone conducts a new set of trials," at least be intellectually honest and
acknowledge why I do.  You always like to compare apples to apples, and what
better comparison than DVB-T vs. ATSC?

Comparing 8-VSB to earlier generation 8-VSB is informative, but unless it is
also compared to that 1999 benchmark that Sinclair set, how can you tell how
quickly the performance curves are converging, or if you do not compare to
the latest generation of COFDM receivers, if they are even converging at
all?

It has been almost 5 years since the Motorola and NxtWave press releases
that the FCC itself used to justify it's denial of the Sinclair petition.  I
think it is about time that those promises by them and other chip
manufacturers be kept. (Now it's your turn to "whine" about the miracle Linx
chip.)

The CEA and ATSC reminds me of the cold war Soviet era, or even today's
North Korea.  Always extolling to their populations how great this year's
economy is, how great the 'five year plan' is working, while all the while
shutting out any news about what is happening in the rest of the free world.
When word does leak in about how backward their economy truly was, they were
shocked.

Sinclair gave us that peek in 1999, and it is time that the US Digital
Television community embrace glasnost again.

John Shutt