[opendtv] To meet the goals of the NBP

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 16:31:41 -0500

If broadcasters really want to suggest schemes that would "meet the goals of
the NBP," then I think Sinclair's approach is more realistic, or maybe I should
say "honest." But I don't necessarily see how that would save FOTA TV.

To improve upon the spectral efficiency of ATSC, you need either (a) SFNs *and*
regional broadcasting, or (b) MIMO. If you use MIMO and LTE/WiMax, on this same
TV infrastructure, broadcasters would be able to offer broadband too. Now
you're talking NBP goals.

But to exploit the efficiencies of MIMO techniques, you need to build a truly
cellular system. You would build out a cellular topology that reaches way out
in the fringes of large US markets, much like cell phone systems do. That's
what you have to have for the MIMO advantages to exist far from the urban
canyons. You need to create those Rayleigh propagation environments out in the
distant suburbs. Range from each tower will be nothing like big stick range.

But this costs as much money as it does for the traditional telcos. If
broadcasters find it difficult to cover their costs now, with advertizing
revenues alone, I fail to see how they will be able to do so with a
significantly more expensive infrastructure.

Honestly, my view of all of this is, not much that the FCC or the broadcasters
are suggesting will create a better FOTA system than I *finally* got, after
almost 20 years of waiting, starting in 2005. And way improved in 2009. The
broadcasters might go the way of a wireless MVPD, perhaps concentrating on
mobile devices and mobile programming, and the current FCC would prefer I
scrapped my OTA antenna farm altogether. Forgive me for not holding my breath.