[opendtv] Re: Tivo vs. MCE

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:19:38 -0700

Tom Barry wrote:
>  >>In the case where WMAPro is used in lossless mode, the only valid
>  >>comparison for a shootout would be encoding time, filesize, and cpu
>  >>playback usage. APE for example consumes 2/3 the CPU for playback.
>  >>

> Last week I actually had a bit of a chance to casually research these
> lossless codecs, though only through web browsing and a couple
> encodings.  But the few comparisons I read seemed to suggest that APE at
> least could completely dominate WMA lossless, beating it on all 3 of
> encoding speed, decoding CPU, and compression.
>
> Though I don't know how new those various results were and I can't post
> the links.  And I settled on FLAC anyway, to re-rip a couple hundred
> CD's I did at a low lossy bit rate way back when disk space was expensive.

I went with FLAC too, since it is gaining some support on hardware
players. The iAudio M3 hard-drive player I have supports it in the
latest firmware release.

Ofcourse people always scream where is the DRM but anyone could DRM-ize
the encoded data files in or out of the encoding band.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I don't see that happening though, since
it could mean that the makers would have to open their DRM code. And we
already know the past history of DRM'd codecs (snake oil security and
security through obscurity)...

Cheers
Kon