[opendtv] The mouse who would be king

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient: ;
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 02:29:31 -0400

The mouse who would be king
Disney's ever-expanding copyright powers are threatening to squash
everyone's cultural creativity. As two new books compellingly argue,
the time is ripe for more anarchy, and fewer lawyers.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Farhad Manjoo

April  8, 2004  |  It's become fashionable lately to vilify Mickey
Mouse. So much money and power have been invested in the otherwise
innocent-looking, squeaky-voiced cartoon character that he no longer
is, for many of us, just a drawing. Mickey is, instead, The Man, the
symbol of a global entertainment behemoth bent on remaking our world
to its own ends. Parents worry that Mickey will corrupt their
children. Foreigners worry he'll corrupt their culture. And the most
persistent claim these days is that Mickey is corrupting our
Constitution: In order to protect Mickey Mouse and his cartoonish
brethren -- not just Minnie and Pluto but also Britney and Eminem --
from the scourge of digital technology, this argument goes, the
entertainment industry is clamping down on our freedoms to create,
innovate and speak.

http://salon.com/tech/feature/2004/04/08/copyright_culture/