[opendtv] Re: The case against Thunderbolt

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 08:13:09 -0500

 The vast majority of PCs are sold on the basis of low cost, not performance.
 The only market segments that still care about performance are machines for
 gamers and servers, which now have little resemblance to a generic PC.

??? Is this true? From what I've seen and read, the non-business and non-industrial/military appeal of PCs is exactly the fact that you get considerably more bang for the buck than you do with Macs, and there are all manner of add-on, super-fast video cards intended precisely to optimize the PC for gaming.

If you want a very basic machine for surfing the web and e-mail there is no question that a commodity PC is the cheapest option...

Whoops - is this not the same territory for which Apple created the iPAD (and now iPAD 2)?

At a starting price of $499 even cheap PCs have little advantage, not to mention little things like the ability to shoot and edit HD video, Facetime video conferencing, and now a cheap adapter that allows HDMI connection to a big screen TV with video mirroring at 1080P.

And did I mention that the iPAD is cheaper than any comparable tablet competitor?

Or how about a light weight, full featured laptop? The $999 Macbook is cheaper than its two closest competitors, the Sony Vaio X1 and the Acer Timeline X.

The truth is that when you compare apples (PCs) and Apples, the cost is comparable. Apple simply chooses not to sell cheap commodity Macs. Macs account for 91% of the U.S. market for PCs that cost more than $1,000.

And I would note that Macs now leverage the same add in boards and peripherals as PCs. They even use the same processors, and run PC applications faster than a PC...

Well, I would say that they are no longer the subject of press hype, perhaps, because they have become a relatively well-known and mature product. The products that get the press hype today are small, hand held appliances, the likes of smart phones and tablets, or perhaps small netbooks.

The Netbook craze was short lived, although you are correct, the did generate a lot of media hype.

What the Netbook did bring to light is that you can only cripple a product so much before making it next to useless. Netbooks are/were little more than stripped down laptops with lousy graphics, lousy battery life, and cheap construction.

They are newer appliances, is all, and while they are and will no doubt find roles to play in the business community, their initial appeal is with kids. People who used to gab with their friends incessantly on the phone can now do so even while in class, without being noticed as much, or even while being ferried to school by mom.

You clearly don't have a clue about this Bert. Business adoption is soaring. Many applications in sales support, medical applications, point of sale. I could go on, but there are MANY reports out there about Fortune 500 companies deploying iPADs

Yes there is a huge opportunity in the education market for tablets. And Yes Apple is doing well in this market segment. The iPAD is just beginning to take off, which creates an interesting challenge for would be tablet competitors, AND PCs in the enterprise.

 The nuisance factor is what happens when someone tries to push the PC
 architecture to the limits.

No. The nuisance factor is when the interfaces that you have been building your systems around change incompatibly. That's when a PC refresh cycle creates a lot more system impact than you would hope for. Obviously this is less of a concern for stand-alone appliances, or hand-held toys.

You have a warped view of this Bert. Apple has done a much better job of preserving the useful life of its products than the PC industry. And for the past decade it has been doing this with the same commodity interfaces as PC competitors. You are confusing Apple's traditional role as the company that is first to role out emerging technologies, with the notion that they purposely choose technologies that are incompatible with the rest of the PC world.

Thunderbolt is a perfect example. It is an addidtive technology for those who may need the extra performance. You can still use the USB and Firewire peripherals you have invested in. And having used both DVI and displayport, I'll take displayport any day in terms of convenience.

A USB upgrade, that could handle baseband video as well as the daisy-chain feature and autoconfiguration, makes a lot of sense. You can add functions to it without disrupting what came before. Interfaces like DisplayPort and this new Tornado just seem to typify the "this is such a racket" aspect of the microcomputer industry. Some among the trade press gush over them, because it gives them something to write about, but we the consumers don't need to slavishly salivate in unison, do we?

Unfortunately, USB 3.0 does not do the stuff you think makes sense.

But Displayport and Thunderbolt do solve real world problems and are just one more reason that Apple's products are viewed by many as being worth the price.