[opendtv] The Piracy Deterrance and Education Act was: Re: News: The Induce Act

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:50:34 -0700

The same flavor of bill is making its way around with added application
to file-sharing networks.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/09/28/HNusfiletrading_1.html

"On a voice vote, the measure passed the House and will now be sent to
the U.S. Senate. The bill expands the definition of file traders
eligible for criminal penalties from individuals who "willingly"
distribute copyright files to those who "knowingly" do so, an escalation
that could result in jail time for file swappers, according to Adam
Eisgrau, executive director of the P2P United lobbying group, which
represents peer-to-peer companies and organizations. The Piracy
Deterrence and Education Act of 2004 was sponsored by Representative
Lamar Smith, a Republican from Texas. "My legislation will close a
loophole that has made it impossible for prosecutors to bring charges
against counterfeiters. It empowers federal authorities to prosecute
counterfeiting activity on a greater scale with better results," Smith
said in a statement posted to his Web site Tuesday."

Both these measures are this industry's equivalent of the 'war on
drugs', albeit with an added level of pure stupidity. Don't nail the
filesharing networks, nail the users. However if we look at the 'war on
drugs', most distribution and manufacturing locations are in unknown
locations in South America -- but -- we know where all the filesharing
hubs are (down to physical location).

This makes it the equivalent of bringing all the drug manufacturing and
distribution cartels into the USA, giving them each a business and a
large sign outside saying 'crack/smack/dope/meth/speed distribution
warehouse', and then sending the cops on their merry way to imprison as
many users as they can to stop said problem. Insanity.

Only in America are the jail sentences for file sharing kids a magnitude
greater than those for rapists, child molesters, and second degree
murder convictions. What is wrong with this picture, and why won't
people stand up to this insanity (I hesitate to call it that - stupidity
would be a better word, as I seriously question the intelligence of
those people drafting and passing these bills) -- are we all just too
complacent? Who voted these clowns into office?

Cheers
Kon