[opendtv] Re: The Guardian: TV should switch to internet, peers suggest

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 00:45:51 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Even though this article is from July 2012, with the reverse
spectrum auction looming next year, it seems very timely for
the US.

Not exactly sure what is timely about this for the U.S.

Very simply this: US broadcasters, some of them anyway, could opt to grab their
take and go whole-hog Internet. Much like the article says.

The question of mobility becomes a no brainer. Once your signal is IP, it can
be provided over any IP medium. As long as cellcos offer wireless IP broadband,
and as long as 802.11 wireless hotspots exist, mobility is assured. The
broadcasters themselves can opt to operate ABOVE that link layer and physical
layer, as we already discussed. So these details do not need to affect them at
all. The various cabled and wireless broadband providers take care of that last
leg of the signal's journey.

Of course the broadcasters would have to obtain rights to send conglom stuff on
the Internet. On the other hand, we already know that the congloms are
interested in distributing their content on the Internet.