[opendtv] Some VHF updates

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 16:56:31 -0500

Well, this is much more like it. It's been awhile since I checked the FCC web
site:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html

The stations which, on 12 June 2009, had transitioned back to VHF with
draconian power cuts, are applying for more reasonable power levels. More like
their UHF cousins, when comparing their digital ERP against the previous analog
ERP.

WUSA was 316 KW analog, now 12.6 KW. Is requesting 52 KW, which would be 7 dB
below their analog level. Very much like many UHF stations, relatively speaking.

WJLA was 316 KW analog, initially planned for 14 KW, is now 30 KW, and is also
requesting 52 KW.

WBAL (Baltimore) is now at 5 KW, and is requesting 26.6 KW.

That should help considerably, I would think. They probably lost a lot of
people in the meantime, to cable or DBS, but then again, the stations probably
prefer it that way.

Reception of the local VHF stations has improved, most dramatically in the case
of WJLA in the two weeks after analog cutoff, but it's hard for me to correlate
this with any changes. For one thing, I have found that it's rare for the
engineering departments to give honest answers when we mere mortals call.
Everything is always fine, and they have made no changes. There have been a few
exceptions (e.g. the NBC O&O acknowledging their issue with Accurian receiver
compatibility).