[opendtv] Re: Shapiro on LPTV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 19:31:57 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> What they got with 8-VSB was a delay that has lasted till today.

We seem to make such progress, and then it's back to the old saw again.

As has become abundantly obvious by 2008, any delay in creating a top
notch DTT system in the US has nothing to do with modulation. As you
yourself have said, it has everything to do with the fact that
broadcaters are better compensated when their programming is carried by
MVPDs.

This would not have changed with DVB-T. The ONLY thing that might have
changed is that we would have become acutely aware of the situation as
far back as 1999. Instead, it only became obvious here after 2003.

> The fact the OTA had more HD programming did very little to
> influence sales of HDV sets.

Since Gary Shapiro opposed any sort of "tuner mandate," it seems pretty
obvious that he did not view the OTA HDTV pipe as a significant enabler
of a hot HDTV sales.