[opendtv] Re: Senators Support Funds to Fill DTV Gaps

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 13:19:51 -0400

Dale Kelly wrote:

> The chickens have come home to roost.

---------------------------
http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/80070

Senators Support Funds to Fill DTV Gaps
04.28.2009
---------------------------

I take it, you're saying that the FCC's rules created this need.
Perhaps, but I think there are different ways of looking at this.

A broadcaster might take the position that lack of digital cliff meant
that he needed fewer towers to obtain the needed coverage. But to the
viewers, that often meant a less than ideal signal. Many used that as an
excuse to buy cable. Lousy OTA signal.

If instead the TV viewer gets reliable digital reception, he's getting a
signal that's usually better quality than any of the competing
distribution media. Even if it takes a translator tower to achieve this.

And, don't at least some on this list keep telling us that it's better
to have more closely spaced, low power towers, than earth scorchers?

Where I live, Tvfool claims that post-transition, reception should be
easier than it is for analog signals. Compared with analog, there is one
fewer station in the green zone, post-transition, but there are three
more channels in the green, yellow, and pink parts of the chart. And in
all cases, the signal strength for corresponding ease of reception,
accoding to them, is far lower for the digital signal. Most often, more
than 10 dB lower signal strength in digital than the corresponding
analog. No translator towers among these.

As a viewer, therefore, I'm glad that broadcasters will be given the
opportunity of adding translators as necessary.