[opendtv] Re: STATEWIDE DTV TEST

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 15:47:18 -0800

You obviously have never tried to write a 30- or 15-second spot.  The spots
are chock-full of words, and there isn't any room for technical details;
that's saved for the web site (fool).  The telephone number and web site are
mentioned in every PSA, news story, and swipe.

I'm sorry, but have you ever heard anything but "the most trivial stuff"
ever discussed in ANY PSA on ANY SUBJECT?  Have you ever heard -- for
example -- don't let someone with an HIV or AIDS infection -- or who won't
show you the results of their last AIDS test -- stick any part of their body
into yours" in a PSA?

None of your proposed language would help anyone.  Try explaining "UHF" in
four words or fewer.  Using the words Ultra High Fidelity won't help, and
channels above 14 is vague, since the UHF band is shrinking on Feb 17.

Better yet, have you ever heard "credit-debt swaps" ever explained on
television, other than "being something like insurance but unregulated."
That was the explanation given on 60 minutes a few weeks back; in a 17
minute story.

It's important to know what can and what cannot be done in a particular
medium. PSAs aren't the place to try to expand the envelope.

John Willkie, who prefers the real world