[opendtv] SFNs work

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 01:33:53 +0200

While reading a wikipedia article at
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%A9l%C3%A9vision_num%C3%A9rique_terrestre

I learn that Switzerland has quietly gone full digital since February (Switzerland is often technically advanced on many subjects but makes no fuss about it).

I translate the following part of the (french) text :
The swiss network is mainly SFN. Some emitters currently using MFN might be modified to SFN. This will be the case for the Salève Emitter that will be converted to SFN together with la Barillette as soon as March 11th, 2008. The former channel will be reused for DVB-H mobile television.

So apparently the swiss have not hesitated over the fact that perhaps SFN were just a theory on paper, but have simply implemented them.

There is at least one in France, too, but in Switzerland it seems to have been the rule rather than the exception.