[opendtv] Re: Redefining high definition : please include videoprojectors

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 07:42:27 -0400

At 9:26 PM -0400 5/30/12, Richard C. Ramsden wrote:
For a basis of comparison.
US theaters are just now starting to convert to 4K.
Digital cinema has been 2K up till now.
I can see the graininess in the picture, but no one else (not in the industry) I've talked to can.
This is on a 30 meter+ diagonal screen.

However, digital cinema is jpeg2000 loss-less. The quality of the underlying image matters.

For what it is worth, cinema has never been about the "resolution." The 24P frame rate and creative use of depth of field, conspire to reduce sharpness so as to deliver decent motion rendition.

But one can build a case for 4K on very large screens in theaters. It is less clear that this matters for home theater installations.

I would add that projection still requires a carefully controlled environment to realize the benefits on a large screen, while panels are giving the decisions makers - aka wives - the ability to transform what was once a bulky "eye sore" into a less intrusive piece of "art" hanging on a wall.

But the really important statement here is that UNDERLYING IMAGE QUALITY MATTERS.

The transition to digital TV has largely been characterized by the replacement of random noise and interlace artifacts with correlated noise, and frequently complete compression breakdown. At a minimum, much of the enhanced resolution that is available with new HD acquisition gear is lost via the quantization techniques used for digital compression.

TV broadcasters could learn a lot from the streaming video industry, which now offers multiple versions of content based on available resolution of the target receiver and the bandwidth of the pipe being used to deliver the content. In the world of digital television, LESS (resolution) can often be MORE (quality), if it preserves the integrity of the image on the target display.