[opendtv] Re: Reasons for rising MVPD prices

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 02:17:35 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> This did not show that TV viewing is either up or down.

Take another look:

http://www.businessinsider.com/brutal-50-decline-in-tv-viewership-shows-why-your-cable-bill-is-so-high-2013-1

Look at the first graph. Look at the total monthly hours, on the left axis. As
I said, TV viewing has gone up, from 2007 to at least 2011, where that graph
ends. I already read the numbers out for you, Craig.

> My opinion is no more or less valid than yours. I can produce
> numerous article to support the fact that Neilsen ratings are
> estimates,

Perhaps, but Nielsen ratings are far more credible than politically-motivated
positions, right? If Nielsen says one thing, and you proclaim the opposite with
no proof, then I'll take the Nielsen figures anytime.

> But Nielsen IS measuring delayed viewing now, and the total audience is
> still declining according to these numbers.
>
> If you doubt this, please read this article:
>
> http://recode.net/2014/05/12/nielsens-plan-to-count-tv-viewers-across-screens-faces-obstacles/

That's funny, Craig. The article you mention here gives NO viewing results at
all. It only talks about problems in accurate measurement. THIS is what the
article concludes:

"'The growing sense is, a lot of audience behavior is occurring in an area that
isn't trackable,' Williams said. 'It's going to be interesting to see how the
upfront unfolds. What I anticipate is ... folks don't know what they have until
they start to measure audience.'"

> The most important reason is that the live audience can only skip
> ads by going to the bathroom or recording to a DVR then skipping
> the ads. The delayed services like Hulu and the network sites do
> not allow ad skipping.

OTA PVRs tend not to allow complete ad skipping, just FF. Don't know about
rented MVPD PVRs. I've already explained that when doing FF (especially with
PVRs, as opposed to the old VHS), you can see what the ad is about, and you can
slow down if it's something new or interesting. And it goes without saying, the
on demand viewing from web sites has ads that can't be skipped or FFed. So it's
time to update the ad placement tactics, and quit the live audience pretense.

> Many ads contain time sensitive material about promotions, and ad
> rates are based on the live audience, and now live +3 day audience.

So, make ads less date-sensitive, when aired with prime time drama type shows
(sports content can assume live viewing). With drama type shows, "based on live
audience" is just not important. If an ad is associated with a prime time show,
it makes no difference whether it gets watched at 9:00 PM or at 2:00 AM. The
same type of viewer is still viewing that ad, based on the type of viewer that
likes that type of content. No problem. Time to update these tactics.

> Yes Bert, they get subscriber fees. That is the business model, and
> everyone wants in on it. These are not fake profits - ad rates are
> still based on ratings, not the number of subscribers.

Are the subscriber fees based on ratings? If so, wouldn't you expect TV network
subscription fees to be way higher than most of those niche channels? Anyway,
never mind, since that business model is in decline, based on outdated
technical restrictions.

>> Sorry, Craig. The Walking Dead is not exclusive to the bundle,

> It costs $2.99 for the HD version, $1.99 for the SD version.

No, Craig. Strain your memory. It costs $27 for the 5th season, from Amazon,
with a instant video, or whatever they call it, package. And you are not
subsidizing sports in the process.

>> And why should it? Why should these content owners sacrifice
>> themselves for the sake of overpaid pro athletes??

> They are not sacrificing a thing.

Don't be absurd! Take the guy who is sick and tired of sports increasing his
bundle fee. He cuts or shaves his cable. Would the non-sports content owner
want him back? What does the content owner have to do to get this viewer back?

> The most significant change will be the move to random access
> rather than live streams. But this will Only strengthen the
> walled gardens.

Another absurd comment.