[opendtv] Quandary - I now own a product but need a new job

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 12:50:10 -0400

I have a confession to make.

While I rave only about HDTV on this list I have been working for the last couple years on a product mostly for NTSC transmission backhaul. I think a non-current marketing description of that product (DiTran) can still be found at
<http://www.distream.com/menus/prod3_ditran.html>

That DiTran product was in a space with some formidable competition from folks like Streambox and never quite got off the ground, though it works. But in the time the company had me working on it I did get to add a couple nifty things, including real time (Windows PC based) block based motion compensated deinterlacing and a very fast implementation of a Streaming LDPC Forward Error Correction scheme I came up with (tables created by Genetic Algorithms, code I already had lying around from my stock market days). This FEC code can pave over some fairly long transmission dropouts if desired, though with corresponding delay so it's fairly worthless for very low latency things like 2 way video conferencing.

Anyway, both that product and my job were canceled recently. But through a twist of fate I now own most of the IP rights to this product and source code, with the exception of the "DiVET" patented deblocking mentioned on the web page.

I have no idea what to do with this. I don't have the resources or aptitude to try and market it myself and would like to just leverage it into a very small amount of money and a new job. If this doesn't happen I may just open source the entire product or the interest parts.

Anybody got any ideas?

- Tom

--
Tom Barry                           trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Now seeking new full time position as video software developer
Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com