[opendtv] Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 20:05:24 -0700

Bob;

You are not new to the industry.  You were five years ago, when you started
on this list.  In otherwords, your words can evidence what you have learned.
It's not a good sign, since you flounder around.

Think of it this way:  MPEG4 is marketers.  the organizations I referred to
are engineers ONLY.    If you think that MPEG4IF knows more about AVC than
one of the MPEG committees, your cluelessness continues.

In other words,
> As an advocacy group they would be able to
> inform me of how they could help with the issue of MPEG4 AVC or whatever
> codec might be considered as a replacement for MPEG2.

is just stupid writing.

you also wrote
> One reason I post here is to learn so you and those hundreds of people
> that know more than I can fill me in when I am way off the mark. The
> above from you is meant to put me in my place and to inform me that you
> are far more knowledgeable than I. That's OK but not that helpful.

So, you make uninformed statements here -- inconsistent ones, at that -- so
that informed people might object loudly and give you a mild mid-course
correction when a new ship is in order.

My intent is NOT to be HELPFUL to you.  My intent in replies to your
postings is to get you shut up and listen.  I am largely unsuccessful in
this endeavor.  For more than a year, I've considered leaving this list
because of you ignorantly lighting flames with only glee in your eye, and a
few others hereabouts.  Then, I meet list members in person, and they ask me
to stay on the list, IF ONLY TO DEAL WITH YOU.

I clearly know more than you; I also clearly learn -- not merely purport to
learn -- from others on this list.  It's the saving grace of this list.

Ignorantly, you stated
> One thing about your post that does bother me is that you often put
> words in others mouths that they did not say or imply. When I said that
> broadcasters were fearfully of Congress I did not also say that Congress
> was not fearful of broadcasters nor did I imply that. It would appear as
> I have told broadcasters that Congress is a lot less fearful of them
> than in the past.

Who gives a f**k?  You were wrong about broadcasters being fearful of
Congress.  When, pray tell, was the last time that the broadcasters lost a
battle in Congress?  (Hint: it was the late 1960's)

> I think, in my ignorance, that this is a good time for broadcasters to
> confront Congress and the FCC and take it to their customers and would
> be customers OTA. Inform the public of what OTA could be. From Pravda
> 04/07/2005...

Yes, this proves your ignorance.  You want broadcasters to fight your
battles.  They won't, and only a handful of broadcasters can even see the
"problems" that you describe as problems.  They are clearly problems for
you, but not for broadcasters.

Most -- if not all -- of the issues you identify were resolved to
broadcasters satisfaction in 1994-1996.  They were widely debated even years
ahead of that.  Those who are ignorant of the past are condemned to repeat
it.

You clearly have some support at Sinclair.  The reality there is that
Sinclair sees the situations almost entirely differently than every other
broadcasters.  I am not here to say who is right -- only time will tell.
But, using Sinclair as your base of support is a non-starter with virtually
all other broadcasters.  Most seem to despise Sinclair, for reasons that I
am never able to parse into sentences, despite having tried for many years.

Then, you add this at the end:
> Congress and the FCC are supposed to be interested in more competition
> for runaway cable bills at least according to the last Chairman of the
> FCC. This could be an issue that Congress could latch onto if presented
> right.

Are you drunk or crazy?  This amounts to a non-sequitur in the current
thread.  What do cable bills have to do with broadcasters?  Oh, you don't
know that the "broadcasters can compete with cable" ship sailed many decades
back?
Cable is a transitional technology and service: it's only unique service --
public, educational and governmental public access channels -- they think
are a burden, but cable modems will keep them alive in the face of superior
delivery technology.