[opendtv] Re: PR: I want my DTV

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 17:04:55 -0700

I don't think that will happen that way, Tom.  What people who get digital
cable soon learn is that, with their HDTV sets, the video quality on
(over-compressed) digital tiers is the same, or quite often, lower quality
than analog tiers.  However, digital does have more channel offerings than
analog.

What these customers find is that the extra $10 or so a month that is
involved in going to the HDTV tier, they get a few HDTV channels (including
local OTA DTV, often in HDTV) and access to Showtime, HBO HDTV, etc.  They
also note that the video/audio quality is supreme.

Eventually, with more HDTV offerings on cable, all the new channels will be
in HDTV, and the meretricious ness of crappy little "digital cable" will
leave it an orphan, a cable operators dream that was a nightmare for many
customers interested in video quality.

Then, there's the widescreen angle.  BY DEFINITION, HDTV is wide-screen.
That is, none of the Table 3 screen aspect ratio target formats used by
programmers for HDTV are 4:3.  So, when people buy these (now $995 and up)
wide screen sets, they have a Hobson's choice:  either endure distorted
pictures if they set their unit to stretch the 4:3 channel image to fully
fill the 16:9 screen, or have each 4:3 channel with the top and bottom of
each screen cut off for "common sides" or see the entire 4:3 image
letterboxed in the 16:9 screen and suffer the possibility of burn-in on the
black sides.

So, in many ways, digital cable is a kludge for people with new, expensive
TV sets.

There is nothing "stealth" about the premium aspects of cable.  Hell, cable
ITSELF is a premium service, and once you subscribe, most systems advertise
the "advantages" of their digital services, at extra cost. The only people I
know who do not complain about the crappy quality of digital cable are
people with analog TV sets.

There was a yarn on KGTV here in San Diego yesterday on the digital tuner
mandate kicking in on 36 inch and larger as of today, and the concomitant
digital cable ready features that also come with these sets.

One interesting tidbit:  Cox Cable San Diego reports that the intake rate
for HDTV this year is 300% of the rate from last year.  San Diego county, as
of the first of this year, had 24,000 cable subscribers (about 8% of the
market) paying the premium for HDTV digital cable.

At least in this market, I believe the HDTV tipping point has arrived.