[opendtv] Out-Foxed / How Rupert's red-state cable channel waved the flagand beat CNN

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient: ;
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 20:12:11 -0400

Out-Foxed
How Rupert's red-state cable channel waved the flag and beat CNN.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Geraldine Sealey

April 24, 2004  |  Caution, you're about to enter a No Spin Zone. Or
is it the Twilight Zone? We'll report, and you decide, based on this
recent "unspun" news update from Fox News' flagship primetime program
"The O'Reilly Factor."

"Why are some Americans hindering the war on terror?" O'Reilly barked
at the camera. "As we predicted, President Bush's poll numbers have
gone up after last week's press conference. The elite media wanted
Mr. Bush to grovel, but he remains defiant and determined to fight
the terror war his way. Today the Supreme Court heard arguments that
the prisoners at Guant=E1namo Bay should have lawyers and due process.
Predictably, the New York Times wants lawyers for the accused
terrorists, editorializing that some of them 'may have been in the
wrong place at the wrong time.'

"Sure. They just took a wrong turn into Uzbekistan and wandered onto
the battlefield. How ridiculous is that?"

Remember, the Spin Stops Here.

There was a time, not too long ago, when Fox News was a joke --
albeit a bad and sick one -- to liberals and TV journalists raised on
Cronkite, Huntley and Brinkley. But even those who rue the success of
Rupert Murdoch's flag-waving cable channel have to admit: The old boy
has done it. CNN founder Ted Turner once famously mocked Murdoch,
saying he'd squish his cable news rival like a bug. We all know now
who has squished whom.

=2E..

http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2004/04/24/fox/