[opendtv] Re: Out of market coverage

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:28:36 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> As I said before, I disagree with the FCC's concern about loss
> of OUT-OF-MARKET service.

Well, let's say that at least the FCC didn't tell them, "No, you aren't
supposed to want WECT if you live in Raleigh!!" Or words to that effect.
Instead, they seemed to understand that OTA users want access to OTA
stations that may be out of their market.

> Truth is Bert, that most people do not care where their TV
> comes from. The main reason for this is that there is VERY
> LITTLE that is local about local television.

We are in TOTAL agreement!

> So if you really want more choice, you might consider
> supporting what I am saying. But you better get used to
> the idea that you may have NO CHOICE but to subscribe to
> a multi-channel service when the broadcasters go belly up.

Perhaps. What I object to is practices that unnecessarily, or even
illegaly, ENCOURAGE OTA TV to go belly up.

I do understand that in principle, broadcasters in the US are serving a
given market area. But in PRACTICE, what happens is you get a system
that operates very much like European TV, from the viewer's perspective.
Not identical, but similar.

People want to watch a given program, say House. They don't care whether
they watch House from the local Fox affiliate or from another Fox
affiliate that gives them a good signal. Just as in Europe, most of the
content, during prime time at least, is network content, and you get it
from the best transitter in your general area.

However, unlike Europe, there are many times when that non-local Fox
affiliate might transmit interesting stuff I want. E.g., Fox 45 and CW
54 in Baltimore often transmit offbeat Euro type movies on weekends,
that I like to record and view after I get home. The locals don't offer
this.

And if you look up and down the East Coast, certainly between DC and
Boston, I don't see how you can provide the continuous coverage with
much more spectrum efficiency, Craig. If you allow holes in coverage,
sure. As we already discussed, the frequency assignments essentially
alternate as you go up the coast. From one major market to the next,
then back. So, for example, NYC and Wash/Balt are similar.

I'll grant you this, though. Possibly with the much longer GI of DVB-T2,
a "proper" SFN up and down the East Coast would become more feasible. Of
course, that would only work with a network-based system, not local
affiliates.