[opendtv] Re: Ofcom's proposed spectrum auction

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 19:13:06 -0400

(I can't believe I wrote "option" instead of "auction" in the original subject
line.)

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The problem is that only 5 companies control 90% of
> what we watch, and THEY are not the least bit interested
> in doing what the Brits did.

What did the Brits do differently, Craig, aside from making the DTT multiplex
ownership more attractive to the owners?

Look at the facts. The multiplexes are owned by what, four different companies?
BBC, ITV, NGW, and BBC Free To View Ltd. How is that any different from, say,
the major US networks owning the multiplexes here (or Sinclair, or Scripps, or
some other similar company)?

> It is technically feasible for broadcasters to buy content
> from the congloms to fill up those multiplexes. Unfortunately,
> it is not economically viable, because they cannot attract
> enough eyeballs to sell enough commercials to pay for that
> content.

Broadcasters are local. Somehow, the Brits and other Europeans make the
economics work. The main difference I can see is that the multiplexes are
nationwide.

The FCC should go directly to the congloms, and to the major station groups
too, and ask directly to these companies whether their interest would change
with national 24/7 coverage. It makes no sense to invent excuses why DTT can't
work here.