[opendtv] Re: News: Users Don't Want VOD To Be C.O.D., Want It Free

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 20:45:44 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
 > The beauty of the personal recorder approach to time
 > shifting is that it creates no cost to the
 > distribution system whatsoever and, of course, also
 > that it's covered by the fair use law.

I think the almost overwhelming advantage of at least some
personal recorders is that you own and control them.  You can skip
commercials at will, or wait a week to finish your movie.

Cable companies will probably have to experiment with various
non-skippable forms of advertising which will likely lower the
value of much VOD during the opening salvos.  Much of the
seductive value of VOD to the cable company is probably the false
belief they are still in control somehow.  But I think they are
sort of caught between the rights owners and the Tivo owners.

- Tom