[opendtv] News: Sealed bids for Freeview channel

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:35:50 -0500

Via Advanced-Television.com

Hmmmm...

I have often written about the decoupling of content and carriage;
about the creation of a REAL marketplace for carriage, where content
creators compete for bandwidth, paying market driven rates.

Looks like Freeview is getting dangerously close to what I have
envisioned, although the companies that now operate The UK DTTB
service are in BOTH the content creation and distribution businesses.

With limited channel capacity, companies are now bidding for the
right to program a channel on the Freeview system.

I love what happens when the marketplace is allowed to work!

Sealed bids for Freeview channel

  UK's ITV and Channel 4, are facing a bid battle over a new Freeview
channel amid rising demand on the digital television platform. Both
companies are considering multi-million pound offers for the channel,
which is being sold by Crown Castle. Sealed bids, due next week, may
also be submitted by US networks ABC and NBC.

  More than 4.2m households have switched to Freeview since the
service was launched in October 2002, backed by the BBC, British Sky
Broadcasting and Crown Castle UK. ITV and Channel 4 declined to
discuss their bids. But ITV, which already operates ITV 2, ITV 3 and
ITV News on the platform, said: "Capacity on Freeview is in very
short supply, and we need to make sure we can take advantage of
capacity that becomes available."