[opendtv] Re: News: PTC, CWA: Family Tier Is Insufficient

  • From: "Don Munsil" <don@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:19:12 -0800

From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
> Good luck in getting Dish or DirecTV in offering true a la carte.

Dish actually used to offer a la carte, in the early years. I was a Dish
early adopter and one of their "plans" was something like 10 "basic"
channels of your choice for some smallish amount of money per month, like
$20. I assume it was a "camel's nose under the tent" strategy to try to
upsell some of those people on HBO or their basic tier. Or maybe they made
money on it. I heard that they ended it because some of the big cable
channels wanted them to guarantee that they would be on the "basic" tier
that all of their subscribers got, and they couldn't do that if subscribers
had complete a la carte choice. But I can't remember where I heard that, so
take it with a grain of salt.

Certainly both companies have the technical ability to implement a la
carte - they just don't want to. And frankly, I don't think they should have
to.

Don