[opendtv] Re: News: M'soft coup starts media codec fight

  • From: "Kilroy Hughes" <kilroyh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:21:01 -0700

<JW>=20
"The real sticking point with the licensing terms between AVC and VC-1
is
indemnification.  There is no indemnification required or addressed,
since
you have all the license you need with AVC's licensing terms.  With
VC-1,
Microsoft grants you no such assurance; you grant them a license to your
improvements to their codecs, and you share liability."
</JW>

Patent pools don't provide indemnification.  The 2 main pools for AVC
Main Profile don't include all the known essential patents for that
standard.  Call has just been issued to collect patent holders on the
recent amended version, which is a superset, and will uncover even more
essential patents.

Even mature technology with pools, MPEG-2, have patent holders
occasionally surfacing with newly granted or old patents naming their
price for deployed and new product.  A manufacturer can always argue in
court in any/all countries about patent abuse if the asking price is
higher than comparable patents, etc.; but that's hardly risk free and
not included in the pool price. =20

On new technology like AVC, there will be many patents in many countries
issuing over the next few years that arguably read on implementations,
whether or not they might be considered "essential" and eligible for one
of the patent pools.  It is patent holder's option to join any pool or
not, and some think they can cut a better deal on their own.  Many
patents that read on standards come from inventors who had nothing to do
with developing the standard, and may have no interest in its success
(some video patents were developed for analog video, or for pure
mathematics, for instance).  A lawyer with a good patent search engine
might find and buy a cheap patent that was targeted at vacuum cleaners
but reads on video compression, then watch out.

The best new format promoters can do is publish specs, call patent
pools, maybe get hacks to write gossip columns to get everyone worked up
about it (smiley), and otherwise alert patent holders and give them the
opportunity to join patent pools.  Neither a patent pool, standards
body, nor individual contributor is going to offer patent
indemnification to implementers of a standard. =20

<JW>
"With VC-1, Microsoft grants you no such assurance; you grant them a
license to your improvements to their codecs, and you share liability."
</JW>

Microsoft doesn't license VC-1.  The spec will be published by SMPTE
along with decoder source code and test streams under SMPTE copyright.
MPEG-LA will offer a patent license.  Anyone can implement VC-1 without
talking to Microsoft.

If you want to get Microsoft's source code for Windows Media Player,
WMV-9 codec (encode/decode), or some of the hundreds of other features,
functions,  and implementation details in that product contained in
millions of lines of source code ... then you have to sign a Microsoft
license.  In addition to whatever protection is in the license,
implementers know that Microsoft has a stake in protecting that product
implementation from patent terrorists (since they ship >10^8/yr) and is
the bank account that will be targeted. You can hide behind the big
bully. With a collaboratively developed technology, it isn't clear who
gets to take the hit and defend implementers.  MPEG and SMPTE aren't in
the business of defending implementers. It's a zero budget item at ITU.
Way out of scope.

You are right to be concerned about patent risks, and royalty risks; by
that I mean add-ons for patents that haven't been included in pools,
rates for applications, like streaming, that haven't been priced by
pools yet ("go ahead, take a shot, we'll talk price later"), and price
changes at end of current license term when there's an installed base
and no viable option to turn off broadcast signals and associated use
fees.  The future is uncertain, but we need to act now; so the best
option is healthy competition so market forces will help produce an
efficient (economically speaking) outcome.

I agree with Craig that competition already yielded a huge benefit in
the current license rates, use fees, etc. vs. initial royalty
expectations when there was only one gas station in town.  The companies
or divisions of companies that make their money from making products are
supporting this, and those that make their money from taxing patents are
less happy, but may get more in the end from successful adoption of both
advanced codecs.  (vs. the alternative example of MPEG-4 part 2, which
was priced and delayed out of significance.)

Kilroy Hughes
Program Manager, Media Standards
Microsoft Corporation