[opendtv] Re: News: Is Apple Planning A Move Against Ogg Theora?

  • From: "Allen Le Roy Limberg" <allimberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 11:28:10 -0400

Mathematical algorithms have never been a subject for U. S. patent, but
perhaps they should be patentable.  One of the great technical innovations
of the late 20th century was Tukey's FFT and DFT.  This Princeton University
professor probably ended up with essentially zilch for his intellectual
achievements.

Software is usually protected by copyright, rather than patent.  While the
term for patent is somewhat less than twenty years, the term for copyright
is the writer's lifetime plus 75 years.  A great benefit for Microsoft.  A
reasonable argument can be made that software should be protected by patent
rather than copyright.

The formatting of electromagnetic signals was ruled unpatentable subject
matter in In re Nuijten
84 U.S.P.Q.2d 1495 (Fed. Cir. 2007) decided September 20, 2007.  One wonders
how this will affect Rembrandt bringing suit against DTV broadcasters based
on a patent purchased from AT&T.

Patent pools allow a manufacturer to compete on fairly even terms with other
manufacturers without much risk of being tied up with litigation or court
orders.  The resulting competition may actually drive down costs for
consumers.  Also, continuing development is much less risky for a
manufacturer planning a late entry.

The substantial patent maintenance fees paid by companies are in effect a
tax we pay to the U. S. government, courtesy of Ronald Reagan and his crowd.
With R & D moving out of the U. S., it is a way for our government to tax
companies in other countries.

If one thinks that use of intellectual property should be free, why not let
homeless people live in his house?  And add on a little shack if they feel
cramped for space?  Maybe you don't own a house or any patents.

Al